- Watch Soulfly’s New Video ‘Bloodshed’ Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 13 hours ago
- Occultist: Band Of The DayPosted 15 hours ago
- Worship, The Great Old Ones & More To Play Doom Over London This SundayPosted 16 hours ago
- Listen To Ingested’s New EP ‘Revered By No One, Feared By All’ Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 18 hours ago
- Meat Train Stream Debut Album ‘Flesh Made Man’ In Full With TerrorizerPosted 19 hours ago
- Castles Discuss Their New Video With TerrorizerPosted 1 day ago
- José’s Roadburn Band of the Week: ObliterationPosted 2 days ago
- Win Tickets To See Defeated Sanity In London This ThursdayPosted 2 days ago
- Leaf Hound To Release Live Album This JanuaryPosted 2 days ago
- Deicide Drummer Interviewed By Invade TVPosted 2 days ago
Wormrot arrested in Malaysia
Singaporean grinders Wormrot were arrested in Malaysia in the early hours of New Year’s Day by religious authorities.
According to the band’s Tumblr, Wormrot were playing a New Year’s Eve show in Kuala Lumpur. While at their hotel, the Jabatan Agama Islam Selangor (Selangor Islamic Religious Department) came into their room. Azean, the band’s manager, says:
“After several questions and telling us that it is wrong for unmarried Muslim men and women to be in one room, they took our passports and we were taken to the police station to give our statements and call someone to bail us.”
“5 of us were taken into custody. Arif [vocals], Rasyid [guitars], Fit [drums], his girlfriend who is Arif’s little sister and myself. Rasyid’s girlfriend was not taken into custody coz she’s not Muslim and Fiaz [Asilent bassist, with them at the time] was from another room. When we got out of the hotel to be escorted into the police lorry which already has some couples who were caught earlier than us, around 30 – 40 more people from JAIS, passerby and maybe some people from the media took pictures of us as though they had busted the most biggest crime for the night. We were taken to the Taman Muda Police Station and had to sit on the floor to wait for the organizer, Emi, to come and bail us out. Emi arrived at 4am and he had talked to one of the JAIS staff. At around 4.15am, we were taken to another police station as there was no high ranking officer to do up the reports. Again everyone had to be escorted into the lorry to be driven to Pandan Indah Police Station. However, when we arrived there, we were still held in the lorry as the high ranking staff from JAIS have not arrived. At around 5am, when they finally arrived, we thought that we will be taken into the police station for our statements. But… in the end… we were let off with just a warning. We were nearly fined $3000 MYR ($950 USD) per person if Emi did not call his lawyer up and we being Singaporeans. Plus we weren’t doing any sexual intercourse when they entered our room.
“By the time Emi sent us back to our hotel, it was already 5.30am. We were beyond exhausted as we had been awake since 5am the day before, performing and then the hotel drama.”
Azean ends what must have been a frightening account on a positive note:
“Please do not think badly of the religion. Every religion is peaceful. Like I’ve said before, in every religion, there’s always some people who are extremists. Don’t condemn the religion just because of these jokers.
“We would like to thank Emi, Tiong, Dyn and all our friends who had given us the best hospitality anyone could ever asked for. And all the grinders who came down for the show to support all the bands. This is the best New Year celebration for us!”