- Castles Discuss Their New Video With TerrorizerPosted 9 hours ago
- José’s Roadburn Band of the Week: ObliterationPosted 11 hours ago
- Win Tickets To See Defeated Sanity In London This ThursdayPosted 12 hours ago
- Leaf Hound To Release Live Album This JanuaryPosted 14 hours ago
- Deicide Drummer Interviewed By Invade TVPosted 15 hours ago
- Sammath Premiere New Album ‘Godless Arrogance’ In Full, Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 17 hours ago
- Wolfpack 44 Premiere New Song ‘The Black March’ Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 3 days ago
- Listen To Hecate Enthroned’s New Album ‘Virulent Rapture’ Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 4 days ago
- Conan Release New Album DetailsPosted 4 days ago
- Listen To Caïna’s New Song ‘The Last Lantern’ Exclusively With TerrorizerPosted 4 days ago
EXCLUSIVE: TERRORIZER STREAM NEW XERATH ALBUM & GIVE TRACK-BY-TRACK GUIDE
Terrorizer are supremely chuffed to be exclusively streaming Xerath’s immense new opus, ‘II’! We frogmarched Wretched Spawn Neil Thomason to a strereo and demanded his first thoughts on this potential album of the year contender…
‘UNITE TO DEFY’
With a symphonic opening that stretches for a minute before the band kicks in and is the backbone throughout, the opening track on ‘II’ acts as a statement of intent. As it reaches its crescendo, you know exactly what you are getting. The Brits haven’t lost it.
‘GOD OF THE FRONTLINES’
A foot-stomping track that kicks the album into another gear after the relatively mellow opener, featuring a mix of death metal growls, orated vocals and Xerath screams over some intense riffing.
‘REFORM PART III’
Heavy riffage and drumming reminiscent of Meshuggah kicks off this number, before Richard Thomson unleashes a scream straight from ‘Angel of Death’! Brutal and unrelenting, right to its end.
‘THE CALL TO ARMS’
Xerath have always attempted experimentation in combining film score composition with crushing metal grooves, and this track perfectly exemplifies this. It gets the balance right in mashing symphonic arrangements and metal into a seamless song, and might just be the standout track of the whole album.
This continues along the vein of ‘The Call To Arms’. Another epic, sweeping number.
Cover artwork by Colin Marks (Strapping Young Lad, Nevermore, Scar Symmetry)
‘SWORN TO SACRIFICE’
The symphonic elements take more of a backseat here, with an almost feel-good vibe when the soaring orchestral compositions do actually come into play.
‘ENEMY INCITED ARMAGEDDON’
As if ‘II’ didn’t already have enough thrown into the mix so far, this number sees a choir enter the fray. Those Xerath boys are nothing if not ambitious.
‘NUCLEAR SELF ERADICATION’
This track is relatively lean compared to ‘Enemy Incited Armageddon’, but still picks up the Meshuggah-esque brutality which has reared its head a few times already.
‘NUMBERED AMONG THE DEAD’
This is a fist-pumping anthem, as Xerath once again getting the marriage between their symphonic and heavy metal elements perfect, with the vocals delivered in a manic, Killing Joke-esque manner.
‘THE GLORIOUS DEATH’
Ending on a massive, proggy and decidedly mental note, ‘The Glorious Death’ chucks in more elements than seems humanly possible or, indeed, sensible.