- Evile’s Ben Carter – Ultimate Festival Mixtape (Terrorizer Takeover)Posted 4 hours ago
- Evile drummer takes over Terrorizer’s social media for the dayPosted 7 hours ago
- Integrity stream ‘Suicide Black Snake’ with TerrorizerPosted 23 hours ago
- Downpresser stream ‘Don’t Need A Reason’ with TerrorizerPosted 23 hours ago
- Terrorizer presents… The Devil’s Music is out NOW!Posted 1 day ago
- Lesbian stream ‘Forestelevision’ part two with TerrorizerPosted 1 day ago
- Dragged Into Sunlight kick off UK/Ire tour: “expect nothing short of annihilation”Posted 1 day ago
- Chthonic behind the scenes video of ‘Sail Into The Sunset’s Fire’Posted 1 day ago
- At The Gates announced for Newcastle’s Northern Darkness FestivalPosted 2 days ago
- Boysetsfire premiere ‘Closure’ video with TerrorizerPosted 2 days ago
BAND OF THE DAY: SATURNIAN
Over the next few weeks, we’ll be featuring a different one of the bands who featured on our Fresh Flesh 2011 CD as our Band of the Day. Check them all out, and in a few weeks’ time, we want you to vote for your favourite! Today it’s the turn of UK ‘symphonic extreme metallers’ Saturnian.
Saturnian’s Facebook page states, “Saturnian are a 7 piece from the United Kingdom, proud of a country rich in metal history, and ready to usher in a new age. Saturnian was formed to create epic and majestic metal songs to enchant fans of all metal genres, delivered in a grand and dramatic style that could soundtrack a blockbuster movie or theatrical performance.” The band also claim to include “soaring sopranos and Gregorian chant” in their music. Not your average four blokes in denim jackets with a stack of Iron Maiden vinyls then. The ambitious seven piece have just started recording with producer Russ Russel, who’s worked with such luminaries as Napalm Death, Evile and Dimmu Borgir. The band’s clearly excited vocalist Phil Wilson spills the beans, and talks about what’s next for the band.
So, recording with Russ Russell, eh? How’s that going?
“Recording with Russ is an absolute pleasure, and we’re totally stoked about working with him. We are recording our full length debut album, which is guaranteed to be a majestic and glorious metal experience. Expect massive drums, shredding guitars, but with a huge symphonic backbone, soprano backing vocals, screams of blood and tears, and whatever else we can fit in! If you’re a fan of Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Emperor, or just like metal big and bold, then check us out. We have some demo tracks on our web pages. (http://www.saturnian-band.com)”
What influences the sound of the band?
“It’s really hard to put a fine point on one influence. Yeah, I know every band says this… Primarily we are a metal band, this is a guitar driven album, but we take huge influence from movie soundtracks, the great composers, and of course the metal bands that have delved into these realms already. Of course there are the comparisons made to bands like Dimmu Borgir or Emperor, but I think given a chance you will see a signature take on this genre [with us]. It’s got something very dirty and British about it, as well as being polished to perfection, a bit of a battle between the two. Bottom line is though, Saturnian is METAL!”
What opportunities has the band had for playing live?
“We play live as much as possible, but we have been really busy putting this album together, there has been so much work involved. We have managed to fit in some live shows, playing Bloodstock after winning the regional heats [of the Battle for Bloodstock competition], and being a part of Terrorizer Grindhouse, which we will be headlining again on September 24th [at the Hobgoblin in London]. December sees Saturnian hitting the continent for the first time at the massive Eindhoven Metal Meeting, with Morbid Angel, Sepultura, and our brothers in The Rotted, it’s going to be killer. Check out our web pages for full live listings, and once the album is done we plan on playing everywhere and anywhere!”